Back to news

New year, new you?


NHS Lambeth Clinical Commisisoning Group (CCG) is encouraging people to make a healthier lifestyle their New Year’s resolution.


Help is at hand for people in the borough who want to give up smoking, cut back on their alcohol consumption, eat healthy foods and live a more active life.


Dr Adrian McLachlan, Chair of the CCG, said: “Statistics show a healthy lifestyle does improve your chances of living a longer and happier life.


“We have research that shows how smoking, excessive drinking and obesity contribute to a wide range of diseases which can kill. The NHS is able to support anyone who wants to live a more healthy life and advice is available from your GP practice.”


​Smoking is the single largest preventable cause of poor health and an early death in Lambeth.


One in five adults in Lambeth smoke (19.9 per cent), and 5.8 per cent of 15 year olds are current smokers.


Free help is available to anyone who wants to quit and improve their chances of good health and there is a wealth of support available in Lambeth. If you can give up smoking for 28 days, you're five times more likely to give up for life.


Dr McLachlan said: "Giving up smoking not only improves your own life, even if you have been smoking for 40 years, but also those of your friends and family. Smoking is responsible for one in every five deaths in adults aged over 35 in England. Half of all long-term smokers die prematurely because of a smoking-related disease.


"Giving up will also save you money – a 20-a-day habit can cost nearly £2,000 a year, enough for a good holiday – and, of course, it will save the NHS money on treating you."


You can access the support of a trained stop smoking advisor through community pharmacies and GP practices in Lambeth.


For more information click here or contact Lambeth community stop smoking service on 0800 856 3409 or 020 3049 5186 or email You can also search ‘Smokefree’ online or visit for a full range of free tools and support.

For advice on losing weight, speak to your GP or practice nurse.