Cervical screening updates and reminders
Please note the following:
Cervical screening: Out of programme samples
- The London cervical screening sample handling guidelines (April 2015) have a section regarding "Out of programme samples". These are cervical screening tests taken outside the normal intervals of the NHSCSP; e.g.
- Tests taken before the woman has received her first invitation for screening.
- Tests taken on women over 65 years old.
- Tests taken for clinical symptoms (appropriate management is to refer the woman to gynaecology).
- Tests taken out of recommended recall (i.e. taken more than six months early for any normal recall; taken more than one month early for any six or 12 months recall; taken less than three months following the last test).
- Vault samples (women who have undergone TAH) for benign/non-cervical cancer. Vault samples should only be taken by Colposcopy.
- The laboratory discards out of programme samples and will send a covering letter to the sample taker, in line with London sample handling policy.
- If in doubt please refer to: Cervical screening: programme overview - Detailed guidance - GOV.UK
Cervical screening: HIV-positive women
- Please highlight on the request form (in the clinical details field) if a woman is HIV positive to ensure the correct recall is given (12 months for normal recall).
- Please check the recall is correct when you receive cervical cytology results for HIV positive women.